Popular Posts

22 February 2009

Mayonnaise

One of my favourite things to make is mayonnaise. I find the whisking relaxing, not to mention that the final product is incredible. I usually make a small batch once a week and enjoy it with grilled chicken and avocado salad.


The taste of homemade mayonnaise is far superior to store bought mayonnaise. The only time I us store bought mayonnaise is when making Mum's chicken pie - and this is simply because the sweeter taste of store bought mayonnaise works better in that recipe.


Homemade mayonnaise is tangy and creamy. Everyone should have a go. I've heard people say that it is difficult to make, but this is not true. I make my mayonnaise by hand, as I said I find it relaxing, but also the only time mayonnaise has ever split while I was making it was when I used a food processor. You need to make a large batch if you use a food processor, as it is only Mark and me at home, I make small batches.


I have no idea where I read this recipe, there are many around. I have a feeling it is a combination of many I have read over time - but it works well for me.


Feel free to double the recipe below if you would like to make more. This makes just over half a cup. You may need to experiment with the quantities to ensure the taste is just how you like it.


Ingredients


1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1/2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1/2 cup sunflower oil
Dijon mustard (extra - to taste)
Squeeze lemon juice
Salt and white pepper to taste


Method


Place the egg yolk, dijon mustard and white wine vinegar in a small bowl. Whisk until combined. Add the sunflower oil one drop at a time, whisking continuously. Continue whisking until the ingredients are emulsified. The mixture should be rich and creamy. You will need to taste the mayonnaise at this point to work out what else it needs. It will be quite bland, so whisk in extra dijon mustard, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.


Variations


To make aioli, stir in half a clove to a full clove of fresh garlic. If you are not a huge garlic fan (unlike me) try roasting a head of garlic in the oven. Cut the top off a head of garlic, drizzle with oilve oil and wrap in foil and roast for 30-40 minutes. The garlic flesh will have lost its pungency and be delicious and sweet. Mash the flesh and stir into the mayonnaise to taste.


I also like to add lemon zest, lime zest, lemon myrtle and herbs like mint and basil to the mayonnaise/aioli depending on what I am serving it with. For example, mint aioli works beautifully with roast lamb.


I never use oilve oil when making mayonnaise as the flavour of olive oil is too rich and overpowering. However, if making aioli I do add a very small splash of oilve oil just at the end. It works well with the fresh garlic.


Have fun and experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment