Popular Posts

21 February 2009

Mum's Chicken Pie


My mum is quite famous for her unique chicken pie recipe. My childhood friends would always talk about how delicious it is. Since I have started making it myself, my husband and friends just love it. I’ll admit it took me a while to make it exactly as she does (and mine still does taste slightly different) but the learning process was well worth it.

Treat the quantities as approximations only and add more or less of anything according to taste.

Mum and I hope you enjoy.

Ingredients (serves 4)

2 carrots
1 large tin corn
2 cups frozen peas
1 onion grated
1 green apple grated
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons plain flour
1/3 cup milk
1 whole BBQ chicken, skin removed, meat shredded
2-4 tablespoons of mayonnaise (according to taste)
2 sheets store bought puff pastry
Powdered chicken stock to taste
1 egg beaten


Method

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Grease a pie dish with oil spray or butter.

Cook the mixed vegetables until just tender. Allow to cool.

Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large saucepan. Once melted, cook the onion and apple until soft. Add the flour and stir until the mixture thickens. Cook, stirring for 5 minutes. Add milk and cook until thickened. The mixture should be thick, but not runny. Let the mixture cool slightly (you can put the mixture in the fridge to speed up the cooling process). Stir in mayonnaise.

Ensure the chicken and mixed vegetables are cool, add to the mixture and stir until combined. Season to taste with salt, pepper and chicken stock.

Line the pie dish with one sheet puff pastry. Place the mixture in the pie dish and place the remaining sheet of puff pastry over the top and close. Glaze the top of the pie with the egg and cut air vents in the pastry.

Cook for 20 minutes, turning the pie if it cooks unevenly. After 20 minutes, lower the heat to 180 degrees and cook for another 20 minutes.

I like to prepare the pie in advance and store in the freezer, uncooked, to be enjoyed on busy evenings.

Add an additional 2 sheets of puff pastry and make 2 smaller pies using disposable pie dishes. Smaller pie dishes sold at supermarkets serve 2 people and the extra pie can be kept in the freezer for later. Perfect when you are cooking for 2.

1 comment:

  1. For this pie I used 2 chicken breasts which I poached and then shredded. This made enough filling for 2 whole family pies - so economical!!!
    Also made my own pastry as I find the supermarket stuff doesn't cover my pie dish properly.
    The pie was nice but it needed a lot of seasoning. This is probably because I didn't use the BBQ chicken which has that lovely salty flavour already.

    ReplyDelete