Popular Posts

15 March 2009

Thai Beef Salad - My Style! (Or "Beef Salad with Soy and Lime Dressing")


Okay, I admit, there is not much about this salad that is authentically "Thai". I only call it a "Thai Beef Salad" because the dressing came from a Thai Beef Salad recipe I saw somewhere...I think. I'm not too sure actually where it came from.

Regardless, I love this salad. I always feel really healthy after eating it. Obviously avocado is not something you would normally see in a "Thai Beef Salad"...the story here is that one night I really felt like avocado, so I just added it to the salad, and LOVED it. So now, I always add avocado when making this salad.

Really, it should probably be called "Beef Salad with Soy and Lime Dressing". Regardless of the name, it is a delicious, easy and healthy meal.

The quantities below are for 2 people. One note of warning, I love to drench this salad in dressing. If this does not suit you, remember to add less dressing. If you are a chilli fan, add some fresh chilli for a little bite.

Ingredients

2 beef steaks (about 200g per person)
2 handfuls of salad leaves (enough per person)
1 tablespoon slivered almonds
1/4 cup mint roughly chopped
1/4 cup basil leaves roughly torn
125g cherry tomatoes (or 2 -3 ordinary tomatoes) diced
1/2 lebanese cucumber sliced
2 shallots finely sliced (or 1/2 small red onion finely diced)
1/2 - 1 avocado deseeded and chopped (use a quantity to suit you)
41/2 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons lime juice
1 1/2 teaspoons fish sauce
2 teaspoons brown sugar

Method

Pan fry, BBQ or char grill the steak until cooked to your liking. Allow the steak to rest before slicing thinly.

Meanwhile, dry roast the almonds in a small pan until golden. Set aside to cool.

To make the dressing combine the soy sauce, lime juice, fish sauce and sugar in a bowl or glass jar and mix to combine.

Toss the salad leaves, mint, basil, tomatoes, cucumber, shallots, and avocado together in a bowl.

To serve, top the salad with the beef and almonds and finish with the dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment