Popular Posts

22 March 2009

Tomato and Bocconcini Salad with Pink Peppercorn Dressing


So as I said in a previous post, yes, I have made this dressing before. I was so happy with how it turned out that time, I wanted to try it again, but this time add pomegranate molasses (I just added a small amount as it is very strong). And again I love the result. The dressing was just so tangy, with a little bite, against the basil and the blander bocconcini. I think this dressing is going to feature heavily in my salads from now on.

I love salads, so therefore love summer. Pretty soon though the weather will turn cool and you'll see a few more vegetable dishes on the blog. But for the moment, I am enjoying these fresh, delicious salads.

Ingredients

250g cherry tomatoes
2 teaspoons salt
100g salad leaves (even though I just generally love it, baby spinach or rocket do honestly work best with this sort of salad) washed and dried
180g tub bocconcini slices
2 tablespoons pine nuts lightly roasted
Handful basil leaves
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon pomegranate molasses
1-2 teaspoons pink peppercorns (if you like extra tang, add the extra)

Method

Place the cherry tomatoes in a colander and add the salt. Leave to sit for at least an hour (the salt will draw moisture out of the tomatoes and intensify their flavour). Arrange the salad leaves, bocconcini, pine nuts and basil in a serving bowl. Just before serving, top with the tomatoes.

To make the dressing, crush the peppercorns in a mortal and pestle. Add the olive oil, red wine vinegar and pomegranate molasses and whisk to combine. Drizzle the salad with the dressing just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment