Popular Posts

03 May 2009

Crispy Spiced Buttermilk Chicken


I've seen quite a few crispy, spiced, buttermilk chicken recipes around at the moment - so I really wanted to create my own.

I actually made and photographed this recipe a few weeks ago, but I was not 100% convinced that the end result was exactly what I had envisioned - it was nice, but perhaps missing something that I cannot quite put my finger on. But I have decided to post this recipe anyway as Mark really enjoyed it. I think I will experiment with it a little more, but have a go, as you may love it. Add more or less hot paprika depending on how much heat you like.

Mark and I are in the middle of settling out first home at the moment - very exciting, but very time consuming. I have a lot of recipes on the go at the moment that I have been playing with, and hope to post quite a few soon.

Ingredients (serves 2)

2 chicken breasts trimmed
600ml buttermilk
1 bunch chives chopped
2 tablespoons coriander seeds
1 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 tablespoon tumeric
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon hot paprika
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
1/2 teaspoon amchur powder
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 cup plain flour
Oil for shallow frying

Method

Place the chicken, buttermilk and chives in a glass bowl and mix to combine. Refrigerate for at least two hours.

Preheat the oven to 170 degrees. Combine the spices in a mortar and pestle and grind well. Mix with the flour in a bowl. Remove the chicken from the buttermilk mixture and coat well in the spiced flour mixture.

Heat the oil in a large fry pan (you need the pan filled at least 1 cm deep with oil). Cook the chicken for a few minutes on each side, then place on a rack over a roasting tray and roast for 20 minutes.

Serve with a green salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment